Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 32 – July 18

Waking up a tad after 5 am (shrugging off slumber in my usual way, a wake up call from Friedman) I started to focus on the task at hand. Today’s ride would contain nearly 8,000 feet of climbing, and I would be forced to earn every foot of it. The ride was drawing to a close, but it was not going to lay down quietly in accepted defeat; I still had to prove that I am up to the challenge of conquering this great land on two wheels, regardless of how close to the calm waters of the Atlantic that I am.

Nearly 38 miles into the ride I hit the first big climb of the day, Gary and I said our farewells and I set out to beat this piece of jagged earth one stroke at a time. Feeling exhilarated with the thought of actually making it to the climatic conclusion for my ride, all in a days time, I pushed into the pedals hard and kept up a frantic pace. Sweat rolling down my wind broken face, dripping onto my pumping limbs, I still found time to peer through the heat and take in the sights and sounds of this beautiful land. New York was a treat to ride through, but I found myself particularly fascinated with Vermont. There was something nostalgic about this entire state; from the forested lands to the majestically old towns, everywhere my gaze fell I was struck with the history of the area. I can definitely see myself coming back to Vermont for some kayaking and sight seeing with the wife; the land and area is gorgeous and should be experienced multiple times.

After breaking through the second noteworthy climb of the day, I began my white knuckled descent. Avalanching down the mountain, I was soon struck with a sight I had no interest in seeing; thick billows of inky black smoke shrouding the sky above the thick Vermont forest. As I came around a bend, I saw brilliant orange flames licking the sky as it gorged its self on a victimized wooden cabin. The fire was fresh and its appetite had not been satiated by a fireman’s hose; since no firefighters were on the scene yet. I did encounter countless fire-trucks careening up the mountain roads after I had passed through the smoke and scene of tragedy. During lunch I spoke with Gary about the fire, and he mentioned that when he came upon it, it had been snuffed out by the geyser filled hoses of the fire-trucks. I must admit, when I first saw the smoke and flames, I had a brief surge of fear. We have all read or seen on television reenactments of forest fires that quickly turn to into a fiery storm of death. On my two wheeled mount, I had no intentions of witnessing such destruction first hand or in foolishly trying to outrun it.

I ended today’s ride just past the final climb of my wheeled journey. There now remains a mere 60 miles separating my bike and I from that soul-stirring call of the Atlantic. Tomorrow, at long last, I shall answer its summons...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
I enjoy reading your blog and how you express yourself- Great job.
Congatulation in advance for a great ride across America- YOU DID IT!!!!

Orpha

Anonymous said...

Way to go. Ride safe tomorrow and enjoy this last leg of your 2 wheeled journey. Wish we could all be there when you reach the Atlantic but know that we are thinking about you. Love mom

Anonymous said...

Kudos, Matt! I'll bet the road traveled has left an incomparable impression upon you! Thanks for sharing so much of this adventure with us. I hope to see you in Texas soon!

Cobra 39! HU-Rah


View My Stats